Those were my exact words to my good buddy Jordana's post on Facebook this morning.. the one in which she bitched that it was yet another beautiful day here in Arizona and yet she had to be inside working in a cold office with bad lighting.. she forgot to mention that she only has a week left b/c she quit her job (same company), thus leaving me with just a handful of fun, cool people to hang out with at work..
My quick reaction to her post got me to thinking.. am I missing a sensitivity chip?? I mean, I"m very sensitive when the subject is me but for others, I'm not usually the "sage advice, sympathetic, have some great words of wisdom to give" kind of person. I hate this about myself. I never have the correct thing to say when someone says something deep or needs advice. I never have been like this. I wish I could be. So far in life, this hasn't really had too much of an effect on me. The people who know and love me know that I will move mountains to help them, be there for them, laugh with them, cry with them but they also know that I won't always speak my feelings or give life-changing advice, but I WILL be there for them. I guess I'm more of an actions speak louder than words kind of girl. When my friend's mom passed away, I left work, drove to Tuscon and just was WITH her, no words, nothing, just there for her if she wanted to cry. When a friend says she's lonely or frustrated b/c her hubs travels alot and she has a one year old and is raising her somewhat alone due to said work travel, I make plans for us to do something. ASAP. I am your biggest cheerleader, but when you break up with your boyfriend, my advice is usually "get over it and move on.. " B/C, that's what I do. I've had a lot of shitty things either happen to me or to my husband in just the last few years alone, but I have an amazingly strong ability to just "move on". I don't dwell on things, I take accountability for the things that are my responsibility, and I just move on.. plain and simple, that's me.
Why am I bringing this up? B/c this past week, a lot of my blog friends have put some really deep stuff out there in blogland, some blogs that literally touched me to the core, however, I can't find the words to respond. I read everyone else's comments and I just think to myself that whatever I would have to say would sound so ridiculous. And instead, I don't comment and then I hope that it doesn't make me seem insensitive or uncaring. I'd hate that people would think that of me.
So, I apologize if I don't always comment but know that I'm always reading and I really take to heart all that you are going through, where you've been and I applaud you all for being so brave to put your stories, your histories and your feelings out there.
Not sure why I even wrote this blog but it's been on my mind for a couple of days.
Hope you all have a great weekend.
xo,js
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Jen! I *totally* get it. I'm usually the same way. It is *so hard* for me to comment sometimes, even though I care deeply and want to let them know I care, sometimes I can't.
ReplyDeleteDon't worry a bit - it shows how much you care, you just wrote yoru own blog about it! :) Hugs to you and I hope you have a great weekend too!
Oh cripes I never know what to say either. And when I try, I almost always fuck it up. So I hear you. But actions speak louder than words, always.
ReplyDeleteHave a good weekend, toots!
Yup - I'm the same as you and the girls that commented.
ReplyDeleteMind you, I always almost put my fat head in to do a comment but then I look and think.. why are my words of wisdom not as wisdomy (is that a word?? lol) as others who really give great advice or sympathy. Maybe I'm all show no tell. I do know though, like others, I do sympathise and I feel deeply for their troubles. I really do better with fiction than fact. And thats just me.
I completely agree! I feel like I just don't know what to say and anything I do say will come out wrong, so I didn't comment either. It does depend on the situation. With my "live" friends, I'll typically just let them know I'm there and that I love them. I guess that could be the comment I leave... Doesn't make you insensitive at all!
ReplyDeletep.s. When you get a minute, send me an email with your contact info. So excited to meet you in person!! jennywelty@yahoo.com
ReplyDeleteI once heard someone say, some friends ask you if you need anything and good friends just show up! That's you! And I will always remember when you 'showed up' for me...on more than one occasion! You rock!
ReplyDeleteHey Jen, You are a survivor not a stragler.. you pick yourself up, dust your self on and get on with life and there isn't a damn thing with that.. But you know what.. I would love to have a friend like you... you sound like a dynamite person.. not a fake friend .. that's a real treasure in life..
ReplyDeleteI don't think you're insensitive, you often comment very kindly. It is often difficult to know what to say in tough situations...be kind to yourself.
ReplyDelete:-)
OMG- yeah sometimes there are no words, I struggle with that, too.
ReplyDeleteBut I think we call get that and cut each other lots of slack.
And like Barbara said, you sound like an awesome, committed friend.
just want you to know? i have no filter.
ReplyDeletethat's all :p
this one just made me cry. over teh years, you have had a lot of words of wisdom for me. and to be honest, being there is just as good, if not better, than have the "right" words to say.
ReplyDeleteyou are strong. adn you do just get over things. but i think you also realize that not all of us are like that. and though you have told me several times to just get over things, i know deep down that several times i have need more time to get over it.
you are my best friend. i miss you.