Sunday, August 22, 2010

Desert Living at it's finest... and a new low!

so, today, I started this ridiculous training for the 1/2 marathon that I've been conned into doing with the Jens.  I did a training walk this morning of 4.3 miles.  I could have probably gone the extra .2 to make it an even 4.5 but it would have been me walking down the street and back and that just seemed silly!!!  As I was walking my pre-planned route (from MapMyRun.com), I realized that I had routed myself smack dab in the middle of the desert.  I looked around me and it was straight up desert, nothing else!  And then I saw what I was afraid I'd see..  a coyote.  Luckily, they don't like me any more than I like them and he was gone in a flash. That's the 3rd wild animal I've seen in 3 days.  I saw another coyote yesterday crossing the road on the way to the gym and the other night, as I was getting out of my car, in my driveway, I saw a javelina.  YUCK.  if you don't know what a javelina is, here is a pic:

They are nasty, vile creatures that resemble a wild pig, but in actuality they are rodents.  They normally travel in packs but this one was a rogue. He was maybe 10 feet from me and I got out of my car and noticed a wierd smell and rustling noise.  I looked over and thought, wow that is a large dog that's on the loose and then I realized it was a javelina. I ran to my front door, looking for my keys and when I couldn't find them I started banging on the door for Tim to open. I have no idea if javelina's attack and didn't really want to find out. Of course, Tim is a turtle and was not answering the door quick enough for me~! Fortunately, my little friend turned the other way and walked down the street.  Wierd that he was just hanging out on my block!  Tim has seen a few together when he's taking the beags out and has promptly come right back home.  I don't think we need to see a beagle/javelina showdown any time soon!!

That's all I had to say today. Hope you all have had a great weekend! 

**Oh and I hit a new low this weekend so now I'm 73 down.. GO ME!!!  Something must be working in my favor now!!! 

**Oh, and I love this new challenge!! It's totally motivated me this weekend!  I know I'll never win but I'll win for myself by knowing I'll be kicking ass in the workout department now!!!

xo,js

11 comments:

  1. Congrats to you Miss 73 lbs down!

    What an ugly creature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on 73 down! that's amazing.
    The Javelina is really scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 73 lbs down is awesome. Good luck on your marathon training.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea 73! When I taught 2nd grade I used to read a book called The 3 Javalinas...kind of like the 3 little pigs...they didn't look like that. :) If I ran into that on the street I would probably pee my pants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait! What Jen's? Am I supposed to be doing this?????

    MISS YOU!! Flying into Phoenix Dec 24th. Hope to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a courier for Fedex, I worked in Wickenburg. I saw several Javalinas out here. They are very ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo on the 73!!! Congrats! Javalinas freak me out and thankfully, I've never come across one in my AZ travels. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I forgot to thank you for the song tips...I had Freedom blaring during my 5am run/walk this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That thing is scarrrry looking. But also kinda cute in it's own ugly little way.

    I know you don't like the walk/running now but I bet as you start to see your mileage go up and your speed get faster you'll start loving it. Or not ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. that thing is UGLY!! how much do they weight? yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Javelinas are nasty little critters! They come down off South Mountain and eat my mother's flowers every year. Drives her crazy. There's a coyote out by our house too...keeps freakin' me out! Great progress on the scales!

    ReplyDelete