Monday, July 5, 2010

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale... (aka the blog about Mexico).. UPDATED with a Bandster Meeting!!


Ladies (and gents..) it's time, it's time to talk about Mexico...  I think that I've had enough time to decompress and get my thoughts on the trip in order for a blog..

Let me preface this blog by mentioning that I must have said multiple times "this is so blogworthy!"..  yes, my friends, even when out of town, I think of you all!!!

* The Weather: In a word:  SHITTY..  we were very unaware that while we were down there, we were in the midst of Tropical Storm/Depression "Alex" (which later became Hurricane Alex)... seriously, it was hotter than H-E-L-L... I'm from AZ and even I thought it was hot. I believe that the words "Oppressive" kept coming to mind.  There was nary a moment that I wasn't sweating..  The only place you could get comfort from the heat was in your room, which were the only places that had A/C.  We ate in the heat, we drank in the heat, we walked in the heat, we danced in the heat... heat, heat, everywhere...  You would think I would have lost more weight.

*The Resort:  Lush, Huge, Nice..  we did not get to see much because of the rain, but what we saw, it was nice.  They had it seperated into 5 different resorts, ranging from one step up from a hostel to the grand poohbah of resorts (they had lots of A/C by the way) we wanted to do this trip on a budget so we were in the lower of the range on the resort (apparently poor people don't need A/C..)

*The Food:  meh...  Antonio was NOT a fan.  He would tighten right up first thing in the morning and not budge for most of the time we were there. I spent many a morning in the bathroom..  it was not pleasant.  I finally by the end figured out what I could eat and it wasn't much... AGAIN, why I did not lose more weight is a mystery

*The booze:  aflowing.. I had more then enough beer and champagne to last me for the next 6 months or until my next trip (which by the way will be within the contingious USA since this chick will not be traveling internationally for some time.)

*The Passport Incident:   I shared a room with Angela and Shannon - on Sunday, Angela could not find her passport. It was stolen from the room. Now, let me say that Angela was probably the worst person to have this happen to. she was already pretty leery of everything re: Mexico traveling.  But this girl handled this situation like a champ!!!  She and I got up on Monday morning and hit the road to Cancun to try to obtain a new passport.  We literally did all this blind b/c the hotel staff could not have been less helpful. It was ridiculous. We hit the US Embassy some 70 miles away in Cancun and had ourselves a little adventure.  Pictures are below.. it was one of the most hilarious times I've ever spent with anyone. 

**Getting STUCK in Mexico:  so apparently no good deed goes unpunished b/c the girl who lost her passport was promptly on a flight back to LA the next day and I was not.  We got to the airport around noonish and my flight was scheduled to leave around 4:15.  When we got there, they said it would be delayed for about 2 hours due to "mechanical issues".. no biggie..  then as the day went on, the hours delayed kept getting longer and longer..  after seeing everyone off and sitting by myself at the airport for a good 6 hours, they finally canceled due to "the weather".. tears started flowing at that point.  They put us up at a nearby hotel and I finally left late the next day and spent another 8 hours getting home (my original flight was non-stop and the one I ended up on was pretty much all over the country)  Needless to say, US Airways got a piece of my mind once I returned..  they called it "weather" b/c they didn't want to have to compensate anyone as they would have if it was purely mechanical. 

*The FRIENDS: phenomenal... I love my girls. Even with all the issues (the weather, the loss of a passport, getting stuck in the country, etc.. ) we laughed and laughed and laughed. When I'm with them, I feel like I'm home. Most of them got to the resort early and I was one of the last two to arrive and when they spied me from across the lobby you would have thought Madonna was walking in. (the screaming) . it was so amazing to see their response to me and my newish self... if I had doubted that I had changed or looked different, all doubt was gone as I was hugging them and they were all complimenting me.


If you have hung on long enough, here are some pictures of the trip. Don't mind the pulled back sweaty hair!!!
I have a lot of catching up to do and hope to do it some this week!!! Hope you are all well!!
xo,js
 
 Me and Angela
 
me and Shannon ( not sure why I look like I just got goosed!!!
me and the Birthday Girl!!! (TMac)
the new passport picture that looks like a mugshot

Angela and the big guy
Margo, me, Shannon, TK (Tracey) and Angela

**** So, today I got to meet Miss Vickie!!! She's been in AZ visiting for about two weeks and she and I and her daughter Crystal and sweet granddaughter Livianna (sp??) met for lunch!!!  She is just the sweetest, most genuine and warm person!!! So glad I got to meet her and her girls!!  Her daughter teaches Zumba and I'm definitely going to hit up one of her classes soon!!!  Here's a pic!
Miss Vickie - GREAT To meet you!!! You are doing fantastic!! Good luck with your 1st fill on Wednesday!!


 

14 comments:

  1. OMG!!! Well, I'm glad you had such an amazing time with your ladies. What an unbelievable trip!! Write US Air a letter, sometimes they'll throw you free miles or something. Missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Jen! Sounds like you had an incredible time with your friends!! Too bad it had to be in the midst of a Hurricane!!!

    I hear you on the heat, that is why we went to Mazatlan in November, still hot, but not too depressingly hot!!

    So sorry to hear that you had so many problems with your flight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an adventure!! Looks like you did have a blast with your girls! Isn't it fun seeing people you haven't seen in a while?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...what an adventure. You're such a good friend to have stuck with Angela through such an ordeal.
    We missed you back here and it sounds like you and Vickie had a blast.
    Welcome back cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is safe to say this is a trip you will never forgot...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best part is spending time with the girls. And at least the drinks were good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a great time, yay! Sorry about the traveling downers but still, the best friends make anything amazing!

    We need to get together and do that zumba class sometime? Where does Vicki's daughter teach it at?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now THAT is the kind of trip that's good for drunken stories that get funnier and funnier with every passing year! So nice that you met Miss Vickie too! good blog...good blog *golf clap*

    ReplyDelete
  9. The trip sounds like it was an adventurous one and one you will never forget!

    You and the girls are all gorgeous and baby you look FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The heat would have killed me, I think. Glad you were able to have fun with your girls despite the crazy situation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a fun time, crappy weather and passport issues aside. Nothing beats a good time with the girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds amazing and wonderful! I can imagine the screams of delight from your GF's! Love that! You look beautiful in the photos. Radiant and happy too. Glad you had a great time adn that you *finally* made it home. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to cry when my flight home is changed due to 'weather'. At that point you are just done and want to be home right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. um, duh! of course antonio doesn't prefer mexico. he's from spain!
    :p
    good times, good girls, nothing better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i agree with all of the above! great pics!!

    ReplyDelete