Sunday, May 23, 2010

Make a connection, Make it count, Don't forget it...

Before I started blogging over here, I had a blog for a couple of years that started on Yahoo360 and then moved over to a site called Multiply. I started at the urging of a friend in Minnesota, who had some "real life" friends who were bloggers on there. A large group of us became a family. In that family, there was a woman named Stacey. Stacey was friends in real life with my other blog friends Melisa, Mandi, Michelle and Dawn. I considered these women to that I met online to be close friends, even though I had not met many of them in person. They were my sounding board, my cheerleaders, my support system. Stacey was pregnant in 2007 with her 3rd son and in December, 2007, she lost baby Henry. During the same week (I can't remember exactly the timeframe) she was diagnosed with leukemia. It struck all of us to the core. We helped her fight her battle, someone I had never met but who's strength I was incredibly inspired by. While she was fighting her first rounds of chemo, I wanted to do something for her to let her know I was fighting along with her. There was a blogging term that we all used to use - FTC - which meant "First to Comment" and somewhere along the line, it became Stacey's and her friend's motto: but it meant something very different. It meant "Fuck the Cancer" or "fight the cancer" to the kiddos who asked what it meant. So, I emailed all my friends and asked that they show me what FTC meant in pictures.. I was overwhelmed by the response of the people I knew (who didn't know Stacey) but wanted to help me cheer her up. Finally, after getting about 10 versions of pictures of my friends with signs that said "FTC" I wrote a blog to Stacey. I was shocked at the response I got. I knew it would mean something to her, but had no idea that others would want to do the same. It was awesome to see how many people started sending in pictures, then our friend Mandi created a video with all the pictures and also encouraged people to get tested to see if their bone marrow was a match.



FTC Video

THEN, Melisa, organized a movement to make a quilt for Stacey and we all made a quilt square and Melisa's mom sewed it all together. And the movement continued and turned into a benefit for Stacey in May, 2008 in Minnesota. I was not able to attend but many of my blog friends flew and drove in from various locations to be there to meet and support Stacey. If memory serves me correctly, STacey was not able to attend but they presented her with the quilt.

Stacey's Surprise Quilt.wmv


Over the past year and a half, our little family of Multipliers kind of fell apart. I sometimes felt as if I had lost my best friends.. there wasn't one thing that "broke" us up, just life got in the way. My loss of some of my friends from Multiply is one of the reasons I always say I have a hard time connecting here. I'm still great friends with some of my Multiply peeps, but others, I have no idea what's going on in thier lives.

I always kept an eye on Stacey via Facebook and was always super excited when she was feeling good and moving on with her life.

On Friday, Stacey lost her battle with cancer... it has been on my mind ever since. I had somewhat forgotten about the pictures and the quilt and the benefit until Melisa posted the above videos on FB..

My point of this is to say, even if you haven't met people in "real life" it is entirely possible for someone you've never met to have such a huge impact on your life, for them to change your life, to want to be better, to want to do good. Embrace the blogging experience, I know I intend to.
xo,js

17 comments:

  1. I am so very very sorry for your loss...
    But I completely get the power of blogging.. I have experienced it right here in our community of bloggers..

    The video is very powerful.. and the bone marrow STC so close to home .. it all sucks..

    So here is to F T C..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have felt and am still feeling the power of this blogging community in helping me with the most tragic experience of my life. It amazes me that I have found the friendships here that are helping me get through this difficult time.

    I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I lost a niece to cancer and it sure does suck. I too say FTC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for such a wonderful message. I am so sorry to hear about your friend but watching those videos made me think and the BF and I went online to register with the bone marrow registry. It was such a simple thing to do, maybe I can help keep someone elses friend. It's amazing what a blog can do isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this. Stacy looked like she was a special lady and I am so sorry she lost her battle with cancer. I will look into the bone marrow register.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about your friend. I've got friends from messages board from way back, none of them I've had the privilege of meeting in real life but I feel as close if not closer to than my real life friends.

    Maybe the thing that brings us all so close is also what makes us loose touch, life. We become so close because we can kind of keep our life out of the way and speak from our hearts, but then we all get so busy and that same life just keeps us to busy.

    I feel I'm a much better person because of the friendships I've made online and I'm sure all of you that were Stacy's friends are too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack. Sounds like lifes been a bit rough lately. My heart goes out to you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sad loss. Your message is a good reminder of how lucky we are to find people who make a difference in our lives -- even if we never meet them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for posting this blog. It's nice to see the live you has for her. Ad to see that she has touched so many peoples lives.
    I miss her so much.
    You're a wonderful friend, Jen. Love you.

    You're friend Sourhern Belle made me cry. Thank you so much for doing that. You just might save a life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Cancer is horrible and it touches everyone. I never realized how much I would rely on these blogs and it touches me how close I feel to people I've never met. Its truly a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen, I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and her friends, like you!

    It is amazing the bond that you can make with people you have never met! I honestly don't know what I would go without all of you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I hope you take comfort in that, regardless of "real life" friends or no, she knew she was loved and cared for in her life thanks to you and the other multipliers. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend but thank you so much for sharing this incredible story. These blogs have added an entire new dimension to my life...I love these women...including you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember when you first told us about Stacey and how connected you felt to her and the other ladies. So sorry to hear she lost her fight. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing Stacey's story and I am so sorry for your loss. It is great to know that you did make such powerful friendships and that you all made such a difference

    ReplyDelete
  15. I missed this in my 'offline/clear reader/sad state' I was in for a while.

    You're a good woman, Miss Magoo. A good woman. I'm really sad I couldn't fly to the funeral. Thing is, though, Stace knew we all loved her, and had prayers going all over the world - from people who didn't even know her.

    And - I actually just got a notice from the registry to confirm my info on the donor listing. Would help in a millisecond.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bucky, I am so sorry to hear about Stacy. It is very sad. I remember taking pictures with FTC sign! I do know what you mean though. Some of the most important people in my life are those who I met in Costa Rica. I mean there was just such a connection (when you have something in common). It's amazing that I spent probably only a few real hours total with these some of my friends from there and am as close or closer than some poeple I have known for a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete