Oh, how I love beer.. I'm not sure when my love of beer started.. it might have been back when I was 4 or 5 and we lived in Merced CA next door to a Coors Distributor (or maybe he just drove the Coors truck.. either way, he used to share his cases of beer with my dad) and my dad would always ask me to get him a beer.. the good daughter I was, I would go to the fridge, grab a cold one and open it up for him.. most of the time, I think I might have had a sip or two.. When we lived in Germany, as a 16/17 year old, we could go to the bar and have drinks which is what we used to do on Friday and Saturday nights.. the beer was stronger there but it was good.. in college, when beer was a $1 a pitcher, I expanded my beer horizons, imbibing in such classy beers as Natural Lite, Milwaukee's Best (the Beast), Keystone, and my personal mainstay through most of my college years - Busch Lite. As I got older and most other chicks were drinking either frou-frou drinks, martinis or cocktails made with lower carbs.. I stuck to beer. Turns out, as my friend Jamie once told me, you can class up a bottled beer just by putting it in a glass.. so much more classy! So, you may ask, why am I blogging about beer? Because, once 10/29 rolls around, my love affair with the cold stuff will come to an end.. one of the number one things you CANNOT have if you have the lap band is carbonated beverages.. so it's a one-two punch for me.. no more Diet Coke (I could write a whole blog on how DC has changed my life!) and no more beer.. I'll admit, I was not aware of the no-carbonation rule when I entered into this adventure.. and I might have chosen another weight loss path had I known ( ha! just kidding!)
So, what to do, what to do.. I think I'll just go cold-turkey on 10/15 (when I start my pre-op diet) and say sayonara to one of my true loves.. The Diet Coke won't be that hard b/c I did an experimental DC vacation about 2 months ago and did pretty good.. of course, like a drug you can't quit, I'm back on it again..
I have to keep remembering that beer probably played a large role in my current weight "situation".. I'm not going to lie.. with beer comes a buzz, with a buzz comes loss of control and with loss of control comes eating just to eat.. I really should hate beer for what it's contributed to, but alas, our bond is too strong.
Unfortunately I have a husband who counts Beer as one of the 5 major food groups.. we'll have to deal with that when the time comes.. in the meantime, if you see me before 10/15 with a beer in my hand, I guarantee I'll have a smile on my face..

No comments:
Post a Comment