Picture this.. Friday night, made plans to go to dinner with Michelle and Kennedy and Timmy (hadn't seen KD in about 2 weeks.. Brandon was in Germany) Michelle picks us up in the Kennedy-mobile. I slide into the back seat, like I always do and say hello to my baby god-daughter.. who looks at me like I have 3 heads and immediately FLIPS out.. I'm talking screaming, crying, tears, hyperventilating.. the works.. Was it something I said?? So, Michelle jumps out of the front seat (b/c of course, we are still waiting for Timmy to make his grand exit from the house, as usual), grabs KD, brings her the front seat to console her, consoles her, KD looks back at me and proceeds the Meltdown.. SO, I'm thinking, Ok.. do I look different, do I smell bad, what's different about me that this poor little thing does not recognize and is causing her to be short of breath she's crying so hard.. And then I take a step back, realize that she's 4 months old, I really can't be that heartbroken that she doesn't recognize me b/c I really haven't been around much (see previous blog where I bitch that I'm so busy) and we all need a good freak-out every once in awhile.. So, I did what every good God-Mother does - I bought her an outfit to buy her love.. :)
So, I started thinking, maybe Kennedy was having what I call an Intentional Pity Party (or IPP... )
A couple of years ago when I was lamenting about my inability to get preggers with my SIL Beth, she told me about her friend who from time to time, when she really needed it, layed on her bed, kicked her feet and had a good old - fashioned cry fest/ tantrum.. Beth told me that whenever I get to that point that I need that, to call her and she'd join on in.. Well, I don't think I ever called her but I gotta tell you, I do this from time to time and it feels great!!! Heck, I think I might have one at least once a month!!! It clears my head, flushes out all the negativity, helps me see things more clearly and releases something in me..
I don't necessarily have to have an IPP for me.. a couple of months ago, my dear Friend MM's mom passed away.. my heart hurt so bad for her that I cried for hours for her, for her family, for her kids, for her sister, for her sister's family.. I knew her mom, not well, but her passing brought about so many feelings of my own parent's immortality that the waterworks wouldn't stop..
So, the next time you are really feeling sorry for yourself or just need a release, give me or someone a call.. I'll have the tissues handy and I may even join in with you..
SideNote... Kennedy seemed to get her IPP out of her system b/c on Sunday morning, she stopped by my house and seemed to not think I was the scariest thing she'd ever seen... I think I might have even caught a smile on her sweet face...


Oh, Jen, I'm crying, laughing, relating and totally smiling right now. This was a good one, not just because little KD was featured, but because it's so true.
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm down with IPP, and am thinking I will be having one next week when I go back to work after a 10 week vacation. I'm so scared that Delaney is going to do the same to me in a couple of weeks when I see her after 4 months! :( Thanks for always making me smile!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing and always caring Jen, I have been having a lot of those lately, I like the label :)
ReplyDelete