Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Thoughts on being 39, banded, and knocked - up

Hey all, I know that at the beginning of this pregnancy, I promised to not be one of those people who ONLY talked about their pregnancy and I've tried to steer clear of writing blogs talking about these things, but truth be told.. I got nothing else going on for the next 3 months with the exception of the bun in the oven.. we have none of the usual fun trips planned, we have no visits from people planned, nada, nothing..   so, either I fall off the blogosphere or I talk baby..  hope you can deal with it..

So, the other day as my friend Mary was driving me home b/c my car was in the shop, she made a comment to me that made me laugh and then think a little.. she said something to the effect, "I hope when I'm pregnant, I'm like you..  you just seem to go with the flow, not really stress about anything (read:  not really know anything!!)"  I thought it was funny that she said that b/c it's true, I'm totally going through this pregnancy with a little bit of forced naivety..  what I mean by that is that I'm purposely not overwhelming myself with all that is out there to read, classes to take, etc..  I'm getting advice from friends and my doctor, not from the web or books, which BTW, I've said it before and I'll say it again, is the devil when it comes to self-diagnosing yourself!!!  I haven't even read "What to Expect When you are Expecting" (the horror!!)  but I will say that I have the app on my phone just so I can check to see what fruit or vegetable my baby is each week!!!  I have read Jenny McCarthy's book "Belly Laughs" and it's freaking hilarious... even if you aren't preggers.  
So, what is the purpose of this blog?? Who knows??  I tend to start things lately and 5 minutes later, not know where I'm at or how it's going to end.. much like this blog!!! So, I figured I'd point out the things I enjoy about being pregnant and the not so fun things..

Things to Enjoy:
  • Maternity Jeans  - OMG, I love them. there's a chance even after I have the kiddo, that I will still wear these jeans.. I have been wearing Old Navy maternity jeans and they are ok, but they dig a little into the lower belly but I have found heaven in the Motherhood maternity jeans..  I felt like I was putting on my pj's today..  awesome.. 
  • Using the "I'm pregnant" card..  I honestly thought I wouldn't need to use this but it's awesome..  I've been able to change seats on planes, not have to lift things and I can pretty much get my husband to grab me anything from upstairs if I am downstairs..   I know. horrible..  but I only get to have this luxury for a short time in my life so I'm taking advantage of it.. 
  • Sleeping - I have a love/hate relationship with my exhaustion..  I am sleeping more but I hate feeling like I am too tired to do anything and am weaker than I'm used to being..  
  • Spending more time with hubs..   since I've been pregnant, obviously, we've cut back on going out and have spent a lot more time doing non-bar related things..  like movies, dinners with friends.. things that don't involve hangovers the next day.. I love that he's so excited about his baby boy and making all sorts of plans for him. 
  • Eating - I wouldn't be telling the truth if I didn't mention that I'm enjoying eating all the things that I couldn't eat while being completely filled.  I still have 1/2 the fluid I had pre-pregnancy so I'm not complety unfilled but it's loose enough that I can still eat a burger if I want to, something I missed terribly before.  I am starting to feel more restriction though the bigger he gets and the less room there is in my belly. I may have to go get the rest of the fill taken out but am waiting to see how it goes.  So far, I feel pretty good about my eating but it is nice to indulge every once in awhile.  
Things not to enjoy:
  • All the testing b/c of my age..   I call them the "you are too old and have no business having a kid at this age" test..  the medical community prefers to call them AMA (Advanced Maternal Age) testing..   I've been poked, prodded from here to China already and I still have another trimester to go!!!  I actually opted out of getting the big whopper tests - the CVS and the Amnio, b/c my doctor did not encourage them based on the results of other testing that came back fine. 
  • The shoe situation - I'm a platform wedge kind of girl and I've been forced to semi-retire these for low flats and flip-flops that make my short stumpy legs look even shorter..  yuck!
  • The weight gain - I have gained 20something lbs so far (to be honest, closer to 30)  From weeks 18 - 22, I gained 10 lbs!!! It was horrifying at the doctor's office!!!  HOWEVER, I will say that while I've gained all this weight, I have not gone up in a size or anything. I'm still wearing the same pants I was wearing before, but with a belly band (when I'm not rocking my fave maternity jeans!) I really haven't gained weight anywhere but the belly area..  so I'm trying to be OK with it.
  • The exhaustion - as I mentioned before.. somedays I'm ok with laying around and somedays, I just want my energy back!! Everyone says that the 2nd trimester is where you have your energy.. well, I'm screwed then, b/c I'm about a week and 1/2 away from my 3rd trimester and I have yet to see said energy!!!
  • The misc cramps and side pains you get and you instantly freak out thinking that something is wrong with the baby, only to find out it's just growing pains or gas.. 
If you are still with me and scratching your head as to what the point of this blog is, I got nothing for you.. just some random thoughts rolling around in my noggin..   All I know is that the 8 year + wait is so going to be worth it when we meet this little boy..  I don't know if I can handle waiting another 3 months!!! 

xo,js

8 comments:

  1. Of course having a baby is the only thing you have going on...it's also the biggest thing you'll have going on for the rest of your life!

    The 2nd trimester energy thing was phooey in my experience. I got my burst during my last trimester. I was huge and uncomfortable but putting up Christmas lights. Go figure.

    Enjoy eating what you want, when you want and having your hubby dote on you. Trust me...that changes after the baby.

    So excited for you and your new journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, the growing pains were horrible! I could literally feel my insides stretching!

    Sounds like you are doing great! Just take care of yourself and that little boy of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's good you're not making yourself nuts over reading every little thing! Enjoy it!

    That Jenny McCarthy book was so hilarious... I still laugh about "blue twinkies'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep posting on your pregnancy, I love reading what stage you are in as it brings back mostly good memories for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to know someone else is going through all the same stuff!!! I've had NOTHING band related to post, and so, haven't...maybe I'll pop something up there soon just to let people know I'm still alive (LOL)! And yes, the stretching pains DO suck. One book suggestion - Baby 411 - great book that basically will let you know when to freak out if your kid gets sick... and it's funny too (like "my baby's poop is blue! Should I go to the er??? No... he ate blueberries...") Fun stuff like that. Otherwise, ignore it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WARNING WARNING WARNING: Maternity jeans WILL MAKE YOU FAT POST-BABY. I am living proof. They are just TOO flattering and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pregnancy transforms your body and your life like no other experience in life, so it's no wonder that your focus is on that right now.

    You're handling it perfectly, just like you'll handle parenting. This little boy is lucky to have you for a mom.

    Enjoy the maternity jeans. I know I enjoyed mine for a full six months after each baby was born...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you're blogging about your pregnancy. Most of us can relate or like you enough to bear with you ~ lol. Your blog is about your life and this is your life right now! So blog away on all things baby!

    I won't tell you how much I gained during pregnancy. Let's just say that you wouldn't feel so bad about those 20 something lbs. if you knew!

    ReplyDelete