Saturday, July 25, 2009

Makin a change..... of plans..

I decided about a year ago that I was sick of being chubby... and sick of trying everything under the sun to alleviate that problem.. diets that never seemed to work, working out, adjusting thyroid meds.. .I had pretty much always shunned weight loss surgery as the "lazy way out of being fat".. until I had had enough! I went to talk to a doctor about the Lap Band System and was convinced that this was exactly what I needed to lose the weight I've been carrying around for years... one catch.. it wasn't going to happen overnight... even the surgery wasn't going to happen anytime soon. I was a bit deflated (but not enought to fit into last year's jeans) when I found out that per my insurance (which by the way covers the entire surgery AND aftercare.. WOOT!) I would have to go through six months of "weight loss visits" with my doctor which included everything from a stress test to a sleep study test (would highly NOT recommend this if you ever have to do it) to a psychological exam to determine my "mind-set" in why I want to lose weight.. (I guess not being able to walk up 3 flights of stairs without needing an inhaler is enough of a reason to want to lose weight.. )

So, I was diligent in going to my visits on the scheduled time each month. They told me not to lose too much weight each time but just maintain so that the insurance company did not see any reason that I couldn't do this on my own. 6 months passed and I was elated that we were finally sending in my paperwork to the insurance company. I was making plans and rescheduling vacations and planning around things b/c I just knew I was going to be having this surgery in late May or early June goshdarnit.. but then 2 (not 1 but 2) shoes dropped! (literally, but that's a whole other blog where I talk about my clumsiness and tall shoes phobia)

1. I took a pregnancy test which I would NEVER normally take b/c that's a whole other blog topic too and found out I was pregnant
2. My doctor called me two days after #1 occurred to tell me that my insurance was a go for the surgery however they considered my "fatness" a pre-existing condition ( ya think??? ) and I needed to be with my insurance for a year before they would pay for it..

Ok, change of plans then.. In my crazy ADD kind of organized mind, I was thinking.. ok this will work, I'll have a baby, then while I'm on maternity leave, I'll just pop in and have the surgery and that'll work out JUST fine!

But, as most of my plans go, that didn't work out. Had a miscarriage, called the doctor's office and told them I was still wanting to do it in September, they said great, we'll call you in August to schedule and now I wait...... and wait.... it's still July so I have another week of waiting..

BUT, now here's the new issue.. we go to Mexico to celebrate Timmy's 40th birthday at the beginning of October and there's some crazy stuff at work going on at the beginning of September that I can't miss, so what to do?? Am I crazy to have the surgery the 2nd week of September and then head to Mexico or does it make more sense to wait until after Mexico which would mean that I wouldn't have the surgery until late Oct/early November.. .. part of me wants to get it over with but is also concerned about lying in a Mexican hospital with a hole in my belly and a dirty iv needle in my arm.. (no offense to Mexican hospitals but I've seen a LOT of movies where that happens) and the other part says wait until after Mexico and then you have nothing going on to have to schedule around.. what to do what to do..

Til next time....

2 comments:

  1. LOVE it!! Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be continued, I love it. You left another situation out....the one you will for sure be a match :)

    ReplyDelete