Thursday, April 9, 2015

10 Things Thursday (the Antonio is a real douchebag version)

I've been wanting to write this blog for a little over a week but just haven't found the time nor the time awake to do it!

1.  Had my lapband removal surgery on Friday, March 27th.  Was supposed to be quick in and out procedure with potential to have to stay overnight just for observation.

2.  When I "came to" the doctor said they removed the band, BUT, they found a significant hole that the band was covering up but once removed, they could see it.

3.  They repaired the hole and I stayed in the hospital for 4 full days.

4.  Arriving home from the hospital, I looked like I had literally been hit by a bus. The number of bruises, scars etc that I have that are still completely visible today is crazy.

5.  On Wednesday of last week, I noticed that one of my incisions (where the band actually came out) was really red, puffy and hot.  Went to Dr.  Yep, super infection.   They opened me up there at the doctor to drain the infection and left the wound open to heal. I get to pack it 2x a day until it closes up. The first few days I would literally almost vomit at the thought that I was packing a wound and having to take care of it myself. I'm now a Wound Professional.  I can pack that baby in like 4 minutes flat.

6.  The anti-biotics they gave me were so strong that I was nauseous for the first few days that I barely ate anything.  BONUS:  I lost 10 lbs last week.

7.  The anti-biotics also caused wierd side effects like hallucinations.  I would close my eyes and it was like a party going on in my head. Was frightening.

8.  I reached the lowest low on Friday when I just got so overwhelmed and desperate to feel better.  I ended up having to take a Xanaz b/c I could not catch my breath and started to have a panic attack.

9. On Saturday, my friends showed up and didn't leave. It's amazing how much my spirit raised. I'm generally the positive person and when I say I was down in the dumps, I was DOWN.IN.THE.DUMPS!

10.. I'm currently in the insurance process for approval for the sleeve. At this point, I cannot see myself getting another surgery. Maybe my mind will change once I feel better but considering everything I've been through, I'll need a lot of convincing.

I was a perfect band patient. Never had any issues. Followed the rules 85% of the time. My band didn't fail me for 4 1/2 years but then something just happened.  It sucks. I used to love Antonio. Now, he's just a fucker. Good riddance.

5 comments:

  1. I was the same kind of band patient. Mine failed at basically the same point. Although, I have a sneaking suspicion that my bignormous baby "kicked" it out proper alignment. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're feeling better and so sorry you had such a difficult experience with the removal. I'm going through the insurance hoops for a revision as well and not as excited as I was the first time around. Warrior wounds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, Your story is my story. My story is your story. If you want to talk more, please I would love to help if I can. I was in the exact same place as you with my band removal, infection, difficult recovery, angry, sad, anxious... been there. It took me almost 2 years to get the place where I could even consider another surgery. Now that I have my sleeve I'm so glad I made the decision I did. Hang in there, if you need to talk let me know! It is a tough road but I think you are a real tough girl and you will win this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how I missed this post! I was going to harass you on facebook for not blogging about your issues but I figured I would wait until...I dont know..you were actually OUT of the hospital before I did so. My question about the infection is...and maybe Jen can speak to it as well, that this makes the third such infection that I have heard of when bands are removed. Were you not on an antibiotic as a precaution? Is that not something that is standard issue? I dont know of course...it just kinda seems like you WOULD be. Give it some time before you make your decision about another WLS. It's a big decision indeed. But right now is probably not the best time to decide ya know? Keep your chin up friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about the band not working - been there!!! Happy to talk more if you want about my move to RNY - just PM me!!! Get well soon and hang in there - love following your's and Mac's adventures on FB! Someday we will introduce ourselves, and him and Liam!!! xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete