Hate for my first blog back to be bad news but that's the reality. Antonio "Band"eras is hitting the road at the end of this month. I've been having stomach issues for quite some time and back in October, could not eat or drink anything for about 5 days. I ended up in the ER and they diagnosed me with GERD, sent me on my merry way with some super high strength Prilosec and said Good Luck. I ended up going to a new (to me) Band Dr and having about 3ccs taken out and immediately felt better. He said the band looked good, position was good, it was just too tight.
Fast forward 3 or so months and my stomach issues start again. I had since gained back the 13 lbs that I had lost since the fluid removal and had just gotten my band tightened a little. Again, band dr. said everything looks great, etc. I decided to go to a GastroEnterologist on the recommendation of a friend and my primary care. He did an Endoscopy and when I came to, said "it's your band, it's migrated into your stomach and needs to come out". Needless to say, pity party of 1 started that minute. I've had my band since October, 2009, have never had it easy with losing weight, have worked for every pound that has come off. I've never had a point where I've gained, I've either been losing or maintaining for years. Granted, I still have about 50lbs to go, but shit. The thought of gaining all this weight back scares the crap out of me. I work out at least 5-6x a week, and eat pretty well, but I know myself. Once I know I can eat a cheeseburger, I will do it. And then keep going. It sucks.
BUT, the good news is I'm already working with a new Band Dr (one I tried to get in with back in October but wouldn't see me b/c I didn't have my band placed by them) but apparently now that I'm an emergency situation, they want me as their patient! Turns out he's the best in the city so I'm happy with that! He's going to remove the band on March 27th and I've already started the insurance hoop jumping for the Sleeve. So, barring any major insurance issues, I should be able to get that done by the end of the summer. I'm super hopeful that that will get me to where I need to be. I've talked to a few people that this has happened to and they give me really great positive feedback and most of all, HOPE. I hope I can maintain where I'm at until then, just have to keep working at it I guess.
Sorry, post is all over the place. I need to get back to blogging. I still check in every day and see who's blogged (and it's not very many of you! :( )
Til next time,
xo.js
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

The only symptom I had of an eroded band was not losing weight. Thinking back, I think I can almost pinpoint when it happened. New band doc diagnosed the problem within minutes, just looking at how well I had done and how much I've regained. Endoscopy confirmed. Feel great (recovery wise) now. Still dealing emotionally. I'm getting back to blogging to try to deal with it all. Good luck and please check in!
ReplyDeleteLord...all of this talk always scares me. The fact that you have never gained and maintained is amazing and I think that bodes well for your future! How about trying to blog a little more often huh? Also, you should know that everytime I hear someone talk about a Moscow Mule, I think of you and our time together in Arizona!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about the Band. I'm 3 months post op from Band to sleeve revision. There are many of us in the same no at so reach out if you need help. I'm so glad that I revised to the sleeve. Tracey
ReplyDelete*in the same boat
ReplyDeleteHate autocorrect
I like that Amy got on you about blogging. :) I would add my voice to that! I particularly want to hear about your sleeve adventures. This truly sucks, but your body needs something different and I think you will rock it!
ReplyDeleteI just had a slip too, but I wasn't approved for the sleeve so they put the band back in place. Overall my band has worked very well for me, but I understand these issues are common.
ReplyDeleteHi, Jen! I am sorry that you're going through this. I'm with Beth -- you are going to rock this next phase! Looking forward to reading all about it! :)
ReplyDelete